Colin is the chairman of the Light Rail Engineers Group and leads Edinburgh Trams (ET) engineering team. He is responsible for managing all aspects of tram and infrastructure maintenance contracts. He has joined Edinburgh Trams from Thales where he worked on several projects on London Underground. His background in electromagnetic compatibility engineering and safety assurance has meant he has played an invaluable part in the Edinburgh Trams project since 2007. Colin led the assured delivery of the tram system through to revenue service and continues to ensure that the tram network remains compatible with adjacent infrastructures.
Colin is a skilled manager in Systems Safety and Electromagnetic Compatibility (EMC), whose broad base experience has been gained within the International Electronics and Transport industries.
Professional affiliations include membership of the Institute of Engineering and Technology (MIET).
- Successfully delivered a solution for immunising Network Rail signalling infrastructure, through management of contractors and independent experts, to ensure that Network Rail signals are compatible with ET when Operations commenced.
- Chaired the Stray Current Working Party, leading successful delivery of assurance to the Mass Utility Provider’s that their infrastructure will not be subject to accelerated corrosion from interaction of stray current from the ET traction system.
- Through successful management of contractors and independent experts, suitable responses to Independent Competent Person communications was delivered in a timeous manner to ensure minimum impact to the project programme (e.g. Issues associated with operational management of Murrayfield and Haymarket Tramstops)
- Led workshops between the Operator, Infraco and Tramco to provide an integrated project Hazard Log that included integrated cross reference between hazards and Operator Risk Assessments. This would ultimately facilitate seamless transfer of residual risks that the Operator can manage through appropriate processes when Operations commence.
- Successfully delivered EMC approvals for a Station Management System installed on London Underground stations.
- Derived a novel EMC test approach to assure London Underground that new IT systems can be introduced with minimum risk of causing interference with existing London Underground equipment.